Illinois students to run for justice, raise funds for clean water in Haiti

By Lauren Mangurten

A band of runners will be racing through Crystal Lake Park in Urbana at 9 a.m. Saturday. They will be running not only for health but for a cause.

Service and Justice Outreach, a registered student organization on campus, will be hosting their fourth annual 5K Run for Justice. The race around the park is the organization’s major fall fund raiser, benefiting charities both locally and internationally. Erin MacDonald, senior in LAS and co-director for Run for Justice, said that this year, all the proceeds from the run will fund a water-filtration project in Gros Morne, Haiti. Each year, a portion of the money raised at Run for Justice funds this project. MacDonald views the event as an opportunity to significantly improve the lives of others.

“A seemingly small difference here makes such a big difference to people under different circumstances,” MacDonald said.

In past years, as many as 110 to 115 people ran in the race, and the group hopes for a good turnout again this year, MacDonald said.

“Everyone getting together in support of a common cause is very powerful,” MacDonald said.

Alexander Morgan, sophomore in Engineering and co-director for Run for Justice, participated in the race last year. He enjoyed it and encourages University students to register.

“It’s an enjoyable event if you like running. It’s a good thing to do,” Morgan said. “But also, we take so much for granted here in the states, even simple things like clean water. People in Haiti don’t have that.”

Morgan hopes the event will raise substantial funds for charity while also making people aware of the issue.

Cheryl Kallal, junior in LAS, will be running the race for the second year in a row. Kallal said the motto of Run for Justice is, “If you want peace, run for justice.”

“I am a big advocate of peace,” Kallal said.

She said Run for Justice is a good cause that students should support.

“It’s something that’s not really known on campus but good for the community,” Kallal said.

MacDonald said the race is not especially competitive and that many participants attend the event mainly to raise money for the cause.

“The whole spirit of the race is just really fun and benevolent,” MacDonald said.

The added health benefits of running are an additional incentive to participate.

“It’s a good way to spend your Saturday morning. It’s a form of volunteering that you are getting a lot out of yourself,” MacDonald said.

Students can pick up an application for the race in Newman Hall, 604 E. Armory, or they can e-mail one of the co-directors for an application. Registration costs $15 through Friday and $20 on Saturday morning. Check-in is at 8 a.m., and the race begins at 9 a.m. The first 100 people who register will get free t-shirts. The organizers will also give out awards, prizes and trophies for top finishers. Prizes include gift certificates to Mettler Center, Monical’s Pizza and the Original Pancake House.