ON-AIR: 400-year-old Stradivaris help celebrate American Music Month

By Kirstin Skurka

November begins the U of I’s American Music Month and the campus has reasons to celebrate. Four Stradivari instruments are now on showcase at the Krannert Art Museum. The 400 year old instruments come from the Smithsonian National Museuem of American History, which is lending the artifacts to campus for more than a month. Associate curator of pre-modern Art Robert la France says we have a lot to be proud of.

“It puts us on a national scale. It shows that we are connected with Washington, with the Smithsonian Institution and that music is a really important part of what we do here at the University of Illinois. We just have these connections. “

The exhibition is just one of several events throughout November in celebration of the American Music Month. La France says the exhibit appeals to students and community members alike.

“We don’t have just art lovers here now, now we have music lovers, and people who are just interested, and if we can get more people into the museum, that’s a good thing. Cause then people can start looking at the walls and discovering things.”

The Strads will be played in a free demonstration on November 12th and 14th.