UI Trustee to retire from public service

By Beth Gilomen

A personal phone call from former Gov. George Ryan almost six years ago took Marge Sodemann, member of the University Board of Trustees, by surprise. Ryan called to ask Sodemann, a resident of Champaign County for more than 50 years, to be a trustee.

“I was hesitant at first,” said Sodemann, who will turn 80 on Sunday. “I’d never done anything like that before… It was a good experience; I just hope I contributed.”

Now, after six years on the University Board of Trustees, and after serving on several committees and special assignments, Sodemann will officially retire when her term ends in January.

Sodemann said that she is ready to end 30 years of public service, a career that included time as director of the Index Department for the Illinois Secretary of State, a member of the Champaign County Board and an advisor for Ryan.

“I think it’s very important to keep moving boards along,” she said.

Michele Thompson, secretary of the Board of Trustees for almost 16 years, said she has seen many dedicated members over the years, but Sodemann stands out for her hard work.

“She works extremely hard, and she spends countless hours,” Thompson said. “She’s always available for special assignments.”

Sodemann has spent the last year working on the University’s retiree policy. She has also chaired the Human Resources Committee, helped in the search for a new University president and worked on tuition advisory, Thompson said.

“She is extremely concerned about employees and students… She always tries to balance expenses to students and parents with benefits to the University,” Thompson said.

Sodemann brought a local voice to the board as the only Champaign-based member.

“The best thing I did was represent this area,” Sodemann said. “U of I has been our economic engine in this area for many years. It’s very important to the community.”

Thompson said she felt that Sodemann brought informed perspectives based on her career as a local, enabling her to interpret local sentiments for the board.

Sodemann said she would like to see someone local replace her in order to keep the board grounded in the community.

For now, Sodemann says it is “time to hang it up.”

“For the first time I won’t have a commitment, except to my husband,” she said.