FDA gives approval

By Lauren Mangurten

The Food and Drug Administration recently approved a vaccine to protect women up to 26 years old from human papillomavirus, a sexually transmitted disease that can lead to cervical cancer.

“Cervical cancer does not occur in the absence of an HPV infection, making this our first cancer-preventing vaccine,” said Dr. David Lawrance, medical director at McKinley Health Center.

HPV is more common than any other STI: About 20 million people have HPV nationally, and 6.2 million people contract it each year. Lawrance said that 10,000 women develop cervical cancer and 3,900 die from it each year. With the development of the vaccine, women can protect themselves from the two types of HPV which cause 70 percent of cervical cancer. Only hepatitis B can be prevented by a vaccine.

“It is best to get vaccinated prior to the onset of intercourse and contracting an HPV infection,” Lawrance said. “However, since the vaccine prevents infection by four different strains, it is still indicated even if one has an infection by one of the strains.”

The FDA has approved the HPV vaccine for girls 11 to 12 years old, although it can be administered to women between 9 and 26 years old. Lawrance said that researchers do not know how long the vaccine, which requires three shots, will be effective or whether they will recommend boosters later.

At this time, the FDA has only approved the vaccine for women. Lawrance said the FDA will probably approve the same vaccine for men if they find it is effective for men in research.

Some University students have not had the vaccine or given it much thought.

“If there aren’t bad side effects, I can’t see why you wouldn’t go get it. I just haven’t thought about it,” said Anneliese Opfer, sophomore in LAS.

Typical side effects include a sore arm and low-grade fever.

Danielle Sullivan, senior in LAS, also has not had the vaccine.

“I would definitely look into it. There’s no reason not to,” Sullivan said.

The vaccine is available at McKinley Health Center for $120 dollars per shot for each of three shots. The health center administers the subsequent shots two and six months after the first. Private insurance may cover partial or full cost of the vaccine.

“It would be nice if it was cheaper. I think a lot more people would end up getting it if it cost less,” Opfer said.