Democrats Jakobsson, Frerichs anticipate productive relationship

By Riley Roberts

Now that the fervor of election season has died away, voters and their newly elected officials can concentrate on the issues that face them as America moves forward.

For residents of Champaign County, that means getting used to the new legislative team they’re sending to Springfield.

When the Illinois General Assembly convenes this January, veteran Rep. Naomi Jakobsson, D-103, will be joined in the legislature by freshman Senator-elect Mike Frerichs, D-52, who will be replacing Republican Rick Winkel.

“I am enormously grateful and blessed for this opportunity – (my constituents) have put great trust in me,” Frerichs told The Daily Illini. “It’s difficult to express how grateful I am.”

This will be the first time that Champaign County has been represented by Democrats in both houses at the state level in many years. Both Frerichs and Jakobsson stated that their common party affiliation will help them to work together more easily than officials who may be separated along party lines.

“I’m looking forward to working with Mr. Frerichs,” Jakobsson said of her soon-to-be colleague. “I’ll be able to give him a heads-up when I’m working on legislation in the House that he might be able to help through the Senate. However, when I talk about serving my constituency, I do it regardless of partisan differences.”

Frerichs also anticipates a productive relationship.

“Representative Jakobsson and I have spoken, and while we probably won’t agree on every single issue, I’m sure it will be a lot better for our area,” he said.

According to the campaign Web sites of both Frerichs and Jakobsson, there will be relatively few differences of opinion once the next session begins. When asked to describe their priorities, the two seemed to be virtually on the same page.

“I think some of the key issues facing the General Assembly in our next session are health care, education funding and crafting a responsible budget,” Jakobsson said. “(These issues) are so important to this district as well.”

Frerichs outlined a similar list of priorities, specifically citing responsible funding of the University to be among his primary objectives.

“Education funding reform is something I talked a lot about during my campaign,” he said. “Also, this state needs to make energy issues a priority. I would like to take the lead on energy issues in the state Senate.”

With the University community as a significant portion of the constituency for both House and Senate districts, both officials attempted to quell fears of additional budget cuts and described themselves as supporters of the University.

“So many people in my district are connected with it – as students, or as faculty and staff,” Jakobsson said. “(The University) simply has to be a priority.”

Frerichs expressed a similar sentiment and added that several members of his family are University alumni.

“I think it’s something I’m dedicated to supporting,” he said. “The University has not seen the support in recent years that it has gotten in years past. I would like to be a strong advocate for the University in Springfield. I think this state needs to support its flagship institution.”