University sailing club to host winter regatta

By Andrea Cheng

The Illinois Sailing Club, founded in 1976, was originally a club for people to sail together. Today, the purpose of the sailing club has been redefined to focus on building a community in which the club educates the public through free sailing classes and offers hands-on experience. Although the club has been around for 30 years, many students may not know it exists.

The sailing club still is actively involved in attending intercollegiate regattas, or races; they attended seven this semester alone. Most recently, the sailing club is proud of their latest achievement in placing fourth out of 13 teams in the Midwest Collegiate Sailing Association Area West Regatta.

This was accomplished by their most experienced and skilled sailors and qualifies them to partake in the Timme Angsten Memorial Regatta Dec. 2-4 in Chicago at Monroe Harbor. The top four teams of this regatta would then qualify for the national competition. The club meets on the weekends, sometimes mid-week depending on the weather and sails on Clinton Lake, 30 miles west of Champaign.

Katelin Anderson, a sophomore in LAS, is the boat house manager and holds the responsibility for maintenance of the boats. Anderson is optimistic about the continuing growth of the Illinois Sailing Club, and said that it has “doubled in membership” and the members have “done a lot better competitively.”

Benjamin Cober, senior in AHS and social chair, said that this semester, there are currently 40 to 45 members who are active in the sailing club and approximately eight to 12 members who participate in the Midwest Sailing races.

Even though the club is facing the onset of winter, Cober said it will not deter the drive and passion members have for sailing. The club will sail until the end of November because they have sailed in snow in the past. Sailing will resume as early as late February. General meetings are scheduled every Monday and a free movie night is held every other Wednesday. They are usually sailing movies. The sailing club has been involved in an eclectic range of events including a photo scavenger hunt, corn maze and a pot-luck cooking competition.

Brian Shaw, sophomore in Engineering, is the race chair and organizes regattas, forms teams, runs practices and coordinates housing details on away sailing races. Shaw holds educational classes for individuals who want to learn more about sailing.

“There is a growing population of would-be racers,” he said.

Anderson said the club encourages anyone to join regardless of skill level. One of the club’s long term goals is to host a regatta, but in order for that to occur, supplies and manpower are needed. The largest event ahead is a Caribbean trip to the Virgin Islands where 13 members, including several officers, will be island-hopping for a week during winter break.

“I can strongly say that everyone in the club is my best friend,” Cober said. “I am very thankful for the club.”