Discipline handed down for incident at Greek event

By Staff Report

To read about the initial event that lead to disciplinary action, click here.

The result of disciplinary hearings held for the two organizations involved in the “Tacos and Tequila” party were released by the University Tuesday.

The event, which took place on October 5, was hosted by Zeta Beta Tau fraternity and involved members of Delta Delta Delta sorority. Both organizations issued open letters of apology after news of the event hit the campus and several groups spoke out against the negative sterotypes portrayed by some members of the fraternity and sorority.

The organizations were found in violation of the University’s Student Code, fraternity and sorority rules regarding alcohol and other University standards.

The following sanctions and plans of action have been imposed by the Board of Fraternity Affairs and the Board of Sorority Affairs, according to a release from the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs:

• Prohibition of new member recruitment during Spring 2007 for both groups
  • Conduct probation until the end of Fall 2008, monitored by oversight committees appointed by the two boards
  • Social probation though Fall 2007 for both organizations (which means no events at which alcohol is present, such as barn dances, exchanges, formals, etc.)
  • Recommendation that Zeta Beta Tau’s University certified housing status be withdrawn by the Dean of Students, but ask action to be deferred while the probation is in place and being monitored by the Board of Fraternity Affairs oversight committee
  • Development and implementation of educational plans for each chapter’s members, the Greek system and campus entities over the next two years, to be approved by the Board of Fraternity Affairs’ and the Board of Sorority Affairs’ oversight committees
  • Development and implementation of chapter new member education programs for each chapter, focusing on multiculturalism and diversity