Vigil held to honor POWs and MIAs

By Ryan Davis

Members of the Army, Marine, Naval, and Air Force ROTC on campus joined together outside the Illini Union Friday to take part in an annual 24-hour vigil.

“It’s in honor of all the men that are missing in action or prisoners of war,” said John Cvikota, Army ROTC member, as he stood next to a sign that said “lost but not forgotten”.

Participants took turns reading off a list that includes the names of all American POWs and MIAs since World War II, beginning with the Korean War which started in 1950.

Air Force ROTC member Jared Cartee, who coordinated the event, said over 150 people would be involved throughout the night.

“It’s going until 10 in the morning,” said Cartee, as he stood inside a tent set up next to the central podium to give volunteers a break from the cold.

The vigil was organized with the help of the Arnold Air Society, an honorary service organization advocating the support of aerospace power. Silver Wings, a student professional organization dedicated to developing civilian’s leadership skills and providing community service, also helped.

The vigil is usually held closer to Veterans Day but it was pushed back because the national holiday fell on Dads’ Weekend at the University, Cartee said.

The vigil will continue through the night, ending tomorrow with a guest speaker.