Unofficial: inducing harm?

By Lauren Mangurten

While Unofficial St. Patrick’s day has been a cause for celebration for some at the University, it can produce harmful, even fatal results for others.

Chancellor Richard Herman assembled a group of administrators, faculty, staff, students and police officers, among others, headed by Associate Chancellor Peg Rawles, to create and distribute a survey about the harmful effects of Unofficial.

“Inappropriate behavior associated with this event has become increasingly troublesome in its effect on our regularly scheduled academic courses, on the safety of those who take part in it, and on the safety of uninvolved, innocent people,” Herman wrote in a letter to the editor of the News-Gazette. “The University in no way supports the event, and in fact has worked with the cities of Champaign and Urbana to reduce the participation in it.”

Rawles said the negative effects of Unofficial have included students coming to class under the influence, disruptions during lectures, vandalism to Foellinger Auditorium and even the death of an alumna in a motorcycle accident last year.

“(The purpose of the survey is) to get peoples’ experiences and suggestions,” Rawles said.

Sgt. Scott Friedlein of the Champaign Police Department said the group is interested in knowing individuals’ perspectives.

“As a staff person for the city of Champaign, we realize the importance of community input,” Friedlein said.

Rawles said the group hopes to find out whether students, faculty and staff think negative incidents occur on Unofficial and if so, what they think the University can do to prevent the incidents.

Barry Glass, a junior in LAS, vice president of risk management for the Interfraternity Council and a member of the group, emphasized that student feedback will influence the recommendations of the group.

“The reason I’ve been pushing for (the survey) a lot is students really need to say how they feel, get their voices heard,” Glass said. “I can’t stress enough, if you get the survey, don’t delete it.”

Rawles said that ensuring the safety of students is a main concern for the group.

The survey has been distributed to eight percent of students and eight percent of faculty and staff early this week. Rawles said the group will give the results of the survey to Herman, and she hopes the recommendations will help create new policies.

“Chancellor Herman has been very aware of how the event has been building and (its) negative effects,” Rawles said.

Rawles said other measures have been taken to reduce the negative results of Unofficial, including bringing in police to monitor disruptions on campus. The creation and distribution of the survey is another step toward thwarting the negative effects of Unofficial.

“It’s not a University event, but both the University and the community experience the effects of the event and events like it,” Rawles said.

Rawles said visitors come to campus for Unofficial each year, and that the University does not want recognition for this event.

“We want to be known for the things we do well,” Rawles said.

Friedlein said in the past, Unofficial has occurred during key visitors’ weekends. Parents of prospective students have witnessed some of the disruptions.

“It sends a wrong message about what our campus is really about,” Friedlein said.

Derek Schlesselman, senior in LAS and member of the Facebook group “Unofficial St. Patrick’s Day Lovers,” said he enjoys celebrating Unofficial.

“I feel very strongly. (Unofficial) should not be something the school should be able to control. It’s more of a choice whether you want to participate or not,” Schlesselman said.

Schlesselman said he approves of the administration’s efforts to prevent the harmful effects of Unofficial, but he is not sure how effective the survey will be.

“I guess any input is helpful,” Schlesselman said. I just don’t think there’s any way around what happens. People are going to do what they’re going to do regardless of what the chancellor does.”

Rawles said the group would appreciate the cooperation of faculty, staff and students by completion of the survey.