Taking the fight to D.C.

By Ashley Sheriff

In the Jan. 29 issue of The Daily Illini, the story “Taking the fight to D.C.” incorrectly stated the number of organizations in United for Peace and Justice. There are 1,300 groups throughout the United States that organized under United for Peace and protested in Washington D.C.

Also in the Jan. 29 issue, the story “Alumnus appointed first Korean chancellor” had an incorrect headline. Sung-Mo “Steve” Kang didn’t graduate from the University, but was a department head and professor of electrical and computer engineering.

The Daily Illini regrets these errors.

WASHINGTON, D.C. – “No justice, no peace, U.S. out of the Middle East” was one of many chants shouted by protesters at the anti-war demonstration Saturday in Washington D.C. According to the United for Peace and Justice Web site, approximately 500,000 demonstrators from across the United States attended an assembly and march on the capital protesting America’s involvement in Iraq.

The demonstration was sponsored by United for Peace and Justice, a national association comprised of over 13,000 organizations. The association sponsored simultaneous demonstrations on Saturday in Seattle, Austin, Los Angeles and San Francisco.

“Iraqis should have the right to determine their own government without foreign occupation,” said Martin Smith, graduate student in history.

Demonstrators were divided into contingents of students, active duty soldiers, veterans, and anti-war, religious, and peace groups. Organizations and independent demonstrators wove flags and posters, recited chants and listened to prominent speakers.

The University’s Campus Anti-War Networks sponsored a trip to the demonstration. The network is a coalition of students, community members and anti-war activists with chapters at more than 50 colleges throughout the country.

The University’s chapters of the International Socialist Organization and the Anti-War Anti-Racism Effort joined with the Campus Anti-War Networks for the trip to Washington D.C. that left Friday afternoon.

“If anything, it’s putting our convictions to practice,” said Cecille Isidro, University alumnus and lead organizer of Campus Anti-War Networks for its participation in the protest.

Bringing the troops home and ending the war in Iraq were the main reasons for the event. Two of the themes were “College Not Combat, Troops Out Now,” and “Act Now and Stop the War.”

Emily McNeill, Ithaca College student and member of the Students for a Just Peace organization, said the war in Iraq “has put us in a dangerous situation creating regional instability.”

Protestors advocating the war in Iraq held demonstrations behind the safety of police lines. During the rally these protesters were guarded by police and unavailable for interviews.

“This war is built on lies,” said Smith. “(It’s) conducted on lies, and being continued on lies.”