CU police stress Superbowl safety

By Kathleen Lambert

The Indianapolis Colts and The Chicago Bears face off this Sunday in Miami for Superbowl forty one.

With large fan bases for both teams in Champaign-Urbana, safety around the area is on the minds of local police.

University Police Lieutenant Skip Frost says departments are prepared for any rioting or inappropriate celebrations that may occur, even though he doesn’t anticipate many problems.

“We don’t believe that it’s going to be major issue, time and time again the students in the community at this world class institution have shown that they actually are world class.”

Frost stated the police aren’t asking people not to celebrate, they just want everyone to be safe.

“What we ask is that you celebrate responsibly, do not overconsume alcohol. If you are gonna consume alcohol, than either have a designated driver or walk to your destination and if you’re walking please dress warmly because it is going to be brutally cold this weekend.”

Whatever team your root-ing for, Lieutenant Frost says area police want all fans to be smart about their Superbowl celebrations.

“We’ll be particularly watching for behaviors that raise themselves to our attention. People who have obviously have over consumed alcohol, people that are threatening physical violence, people that are committing criminal damage.”

The game will be aired on CBS and kickoff is at 5:25 PM this Sunday.