ISS discusses Unofficial, new voting method

By Riley Roberts

Illinois Student Senate delegates held their meeting Wednesday night in the Union, discussing such topics as voting procedures and Unofficial St. Patrick’s Day.

Some senators have been communicating with University administrators about the unsafe practices that occur on “Unofficial,” notably students consuming large quantities of alcohol and showing up to class intoxicated. The University has decided to implement a zero-tolerance policy this year in which any student who is intoxicated and disrupting class could face expulsion from the University.

“We need to make sure that students know about this policy,” said Katie Dunne, sophomore and student senator for LAS. “Advertising might be more effective than massmail.”

Later in the meeting, delegates discussed an appropriations resolution that passed using a questionable voting practice. Committee members were instructed to vote electronically, and anyone who did not respond or vote “nay” by a certain time was assumed to have voted yes.

“This isn’t exactly a proxy vote, as I understand it,” said Student Body President Ryan Ruzic, senior in LAS. “But it may have been executed poorly or improperly.”

Senators also discussed plans to update bylaws governing the body’s judicial system, making it more accessible and further defining its responsibilities. This resolution, along with another proposing to implement a five-dollar student fee for the support of sustainable growth and energy policies, will be up for debate at next week’s meeting.