Carwell, Smith injured in accident

By Courtney Linehan

Illini basketball suffered the latest in a series of personnel setbacks Monday when sophomore guard Jamar Smith and freshman forward Brian Carlwell were injured in a late-night car accident.

Carlwell and Smith both suffered severe concussions when the car Smith was driving skidded into a tree just before midnight Monday, Assistant Athletic Director Kent Brown confirmed. The passenger side of the car was severely damaged.

The accident occurred at the 2000 block of South First Street in Champaign, between the University and Smith’s off-campus apartment. Brown confirmed that Smith then drove the car with Carlwell inside back to his apartment in Savoy and ambulances arrived there to take both athletes to the hospital.

Smith was treated and released at Carle Foundation Hospital in Urbana. Carlwell was admitted to the hospital in critical condition, but has been upgraded to serious condition, hospital spokeswoman Allison McLaughlin confirmed. Neither McLaughlin nor Brown could comment on when Carlwell would be released.

“Physically, I think Jamar is doing OK,” Brown said on Tuesday. “Emotionally, I think it’s been tough on him, but he’s hanging in there.”

Head coach Bruce Weber and athletic trainer Al Martindale spent much of Monday night at the hospital with the two players. Carlwell’s parents left their home in Maywood, Ill., early Tuesday morning and arrived safely in Champaign despite hazardous weather conditions.

“Certainly, our thoughts are on the health and recovery of our two student-athletes, and in supporting Coach Weber and our basketball program,” Illinois Athletic Director Ron Guenther said in a press release Tuesday afternoon.

Smith was cited for improper lane usage, Brown said, and campus police say further action is possible depending on the outcome of a pending investigation. University police didn’t have an accident report available to the press on Tuesday.

Brown said he could not comment on what contributed to the crash, although the winter storm that forced classes to be canceled may have been a factor. He said he also could not comment on whether Smith, 19, had been drinking.

“I cannot and I would not confirm that. It’s a legal matter,” Brown said. “Our concern right now is the health of these two guys.”

The vehicle, a 1996 Lexus, was registered to Smith’s grandparents, Leroy and Salmena Smith, whom he lives with in Peoria.

Basketball practice was cancelled Tuesday, and Brown said as of Tuesday afternoon no decision had been made about Wednesday’s practice.

“There is no way you could expect guys to focus on practice after what happened,” he said.

Brown said no decision had been made yet about Smith’s status for Sunday’s home game against Northwestern.

“I don’t think we’ve even touched that at this point,” Brown said. “That’s something Coach will decide later.”

Smith, a sophomore guard, averages 8.1 points per game for the Illini. Carlwell, a freshman, sees limited minutes as a reserve center, averaging 1.7 points and 1.4 rebounds per game.

The Illini (18-9, 6-6 Big Ten) have struggled throughout the season with injuries across every position.

Only three players, forward/center Shaun Pruitt and guards Calvin Brock and Trent Meacham, have played every game.