Lincoln Hall funding referred to committee

By Drake Baer

Rats scurrying across Lincoln Hall Theater may be thing of the past with the continuing development of State House Bill HB0627.

The bill proposes to appropriate “$25,000,000 or so much of that amount as may be necessary” to the University for the purpose of restoring Lincoln Hall.

The bill was introduced Feb. 6 by Representative William B. Black, R-104, of Vermillion County. It was subsequently referred to the Rules Committee and assigned to the Higher Education Appropriations Committee.

“You can propose any bill,” said David Bahlman, president of Landmarks Illinois, which describes itself as the landmarks preservation council of Illinois.

“It follows the path of any bill, but especially when it contains a $25 million appropriation, it’s not easy to pass given the current economic situation of the state,” he said. “Any bill with that will be tough to get through.”

The building was in the top 10 most endangered landmarks in Illinois, according to the landmarks preservation council of Illinois.

Bahlman said another important issue is whether or not the restoration follows federal guidelines to ensure that proper windows are put in and other replacement issues.

“We’re talking about a major, comprehensive overhaul,” said Matthew Tomaszewski, assistant dean of space and facilities with LAS. The renovation will significantly upgrade the building while still maintaining the historical integrity of the building.

The historical facets of the building include the outside friezes, featuring scenes of Lincoln’s life, in addition to the Quad entrance-way and the theater. These features will be renovated and cleaned along with the improvements of the interior.

The University plans to upgrade the classroom environment by overhauling the heating and air conditioning system, and also creating more “smart” classroom settings. Smart classrooms include greater audio/visual technology.

“Environment is so much of making a classroom conducive to learning,” he added.

Lincoln Hall Theater is also in need of repair, he said.

“We’re going to make it easier for students to get in and get out,” Tomaszewski said. The renovations will include the enhancement of acoustics in the auditorium.

The theater is going to become more wheelchair accessible, as will the bathroom and plumbing system.

Orville Vernon Burton, professor of history, has lectured in the theater. He said he recalls seeing a rat scurrying across the floor during lecture, and another time a piece of the ceiling fell to the ground. He is hopeful to see change, he said.

“We’re coming up on the bicentennial of Lincoln’s birth,” Burton said. “There’s no better time to honor our 16th president.”