Melting snow, rain could cause flooding

Students are still dealing with the massive amounts of snow almost a week after the initial snowfall. The snow that still covers sidewalks is turning to muddy water and slush, leaving some walkways nearly impossible to pass. ME Online

By Andrea Cheng

With the current lull in temperatures, the City of Urbana public works department is focusing on flooding from melting snow.

The department is currently pushing excess snow from the streets further back onto the curb. They use inloaders to remove the snow from the streets into the inland. It’s necessary despite protests from residents.

“We also go around the intersections and remove (snow) from corners,” said Jim Kelly, the director of public works, said. “It’s necessary, the water has to go down the drain.”

Kelly said plowing back the snow is necessary because once the temperature drops at night, the snow re-freezes, consequently making the roads hazardous once again.

The City of Champaign public works department is another story.

Tom Schuh, operations manager, said the streets and driving conditions are in good shape.

The flooding issue is not a major concern because the water is finding its way down the drains.

“We think all the streets are in pretty good condition,” Schuh said. “We don’t think there is a widespread flooding issue at this point.”

However, Schuh said according to the forecast, Champaign will be expecting heavy rains in forthcoming days. The ground is saturated due to three to four inches of snow melting every day, and with rain, there could potentially be a flooding issue.

“There could be a problem if there’s a lot of precipitation,” Schuh said.

Jim Angel, state climatologist, said there is a chance of thunderstorms on Saturday.

“If we get a big thunderstorm, it will make a bigger mess,” Angel said.

Schuh expects that by Friday, Feb. 23, the inland will be almost bare. Angel said yesterday’s temperature was up to 42 degrees Fahrenheit and today, it’s up to 42 again.

Even though there’s only a foot on the ground still, there are some places that still have big piles of snow, which will take several more warm days to melt.

Angel added that for the next three nights, the temperature will be below freezing. Currently, snow is melting during the day and re-freezing at night, forming a never-ending cycle.

“It can be treacherous at times,” Angel concluded.