Champaign murders jump to 12 in 2006

By Ryan Davis

Murders in the first degree quadrupled in Champaign during 2006, according to a press release issued by the Champaign Police Department Wednesday morning.

“We usually don’t have a lot of homicides,” said Gary Spear, Champaign police crime analyst. “This was a little out of the ordinary for us.”

The figures, released in the 2006 Crime Statistics Report, showed that the number of first-degree murders jumped from 3 in 2005 to 12 in 2006.

Instances of aggravated assault and assault also rose from 86 to 97 and 40 to 47, respectively.

These trends in violent crime are consistent with rising violent crime rates across the country from 2005 to 2006, according to the press release.

Spear said the rise in homicides might have to do with the wave of parolees coming back to Champaign after finishing their prison sentences. He said federal funding for crime fighting was high in the 1990s and large numbers of those convicted are now coming back to the community.

The funding situation could also be a factor, said Spear, adding that federal funding for crime fighting is lacking.