SafeRides lacks off-campus coverage

By Drake Baer

For many University students, living off campus is attractive for its reasonably priced rates and relative peace and quiet. However, returning from Campustown can be difficult in the late evening and weekends.

At least 2,500 people, many of them University students, live in the north Lincoln area, said Esther Patt, Tenant Union coordinator. Others reside in areas such as East Urbana and Savoy. Tenants are also double taxed for public transit; there are fees from the University and city taxes that go toward the Mass Transit District.

SafeRides, a shuttle service offered by MTD, does not offer coverage to most of these off-campus areas.

“Extending coverage becomes a monetary issue,” said Robert Patton, director of operations with MTD. Greater coverage would necessitate more drivers, more vehicles, and ultimately more cash, which would trickle down to the student.

“It was never designed to be out in the community, but to serve the campus core,” said Patton.

Patton said expanding SafeRides becomes an issue of how much of a fee students are willing to pay. He added that students have a pretty good deal. Students pay $38 per semester for unlimited public transportation around campus. The question is what to do about students off campus.

“If you have students near Marketplace Mall or in Savoy, how many students do you need to bring service?” Patton asked.

With the recent accident concerning University basketball players who live off campus, some consider public transit a deterrent for drunken driving. However, this is not the primary concern of the MTD.

“We can’t control what people do with their social lives,” said Patton. The MTD provides constant service around campus, but it cannot possibly provide service for every single person in the community, he added.

Lamont Barclay, leasing manager at College Park-Lincoln View, said that for the most part, tenants are happy with the buses coming around every 15 minutes. The only major complaint he has heard from tenants is the difficulty in getting home after being out at night, he said.

“They need to figure out a ride or call a cab,” he added.

Increased service to the area could help out business, said Barclay. Recently, two prospective lessees inquired as to how to return from campus. After being told of the late-night transportation situation, they decided not to sign. It was not the fault of MTD, he added, but those are customers who are going to sign elsewhere.

“It really hits home with me,” said Janna Sartini, graduate student and staff member of the Division of Intercollegiate Athletics Tutoring program. She said the allegations concerning Rich McBride and Jamar Smith get more publicity because they are athletes.

Sartini added that these athletes are not the only ones on campus who have had similar incidents.

Some students choose to stay in rather than taking such a risk.

“We don’t go to the bars that much because we know we don’t have a ride back,” said Kevin Lester, junior in ACES and resident of Lincoln View. He would like to move back on campus to have greater access to the nightlife, he added.

“I don’t really think of it as a problem,” said Lester. “I just accept it.”