Football players arrested, suspended indefinitely (UPDATED)

Ellis & McPhearson Illinois Division of Inercollegiate Athletics

By Courtney Linehan

Illini football players Jody Ellis and Derrick McPhearson were arrested and have been suspended from the team indefinitely, the football office has confirmed.

Head coach Ron Zook released a statement Saturday that said he had been informed of the arrests early that morning. Zook’s statement did not detail any further information.

Zook was quoted in the statement saying:

“Today, Jody and Derrick were charged with alleged criminal activity. Our players understand how to act appropriately. So in light of their behavior, both have been suspended indefinitely.”

A source close to the football team confirmed that Ellis and McPhearson were driving Friday when their car was struck by another vehicle. Ellis and McPhearson attempted to drive off, the source said, but were pulled over. Police then found stolen laptops and wallets in their vehicle.

Breanna O’Day, a junior in LAS who says she was the victim of a robbery Friday and was told Ellis and McPhearson were the suspects, says she did not know anyone had broken into or removed anything from her apartment until police called to say her wallet and laptop had been recovered. She said one of her three roommates also had items stolen and recovered by police.

“It was a really weird feeling, I was really upset last night,” O’Day said of knowing burglars had entered her apartment. “I didn’t want to stay at my apartment, I had someone come pick me up and I stayed at my friend’s apartment.”

O’Day said police initially told her a football player and a baseball player were suspects. Ellis and McPhearson are both junior wide receivers. McPhearson is also a first-year member of the baseball team, but has not earned a spot on the team’s travel roster.

Baseball coach Dan Hartleb was on the road this weekend and unavailable for comment.

Log on to www.DailyIllini.com or tune in to 107.1 FM for updates throughout the weekend.

The Daily Illini’s Sean Evans contributed to this report.