Women of Color hosts Mae Jemison

By Andrea Cheng

In 1992, Dr. Mae Jemison became the first black woman to enter space. Today, she will speak on being a minority woman in the field of science at the Eighteenth Annual Women of Color Conference.

The conference will be held from Mar. 9 to Mar. 11, celebrating the empowerment of minority women, and educating the public on the significance of uplifting, uniting and empowering women of color.

The theme of this year’s conference is “W.O.M.A.N: Know Me, Love Me, Respect Me.” The acronym of “woman” stands for “Wellness Omnipresence Management Attitude N-word” respectively as means of focusing on the areas of life that black women deal with.

“We’re just making it known and helping other African American women know that their attitude is not dictated by what society makes it,” said Tiffany Johnson, senior in LAS and corresponding secretary, co-chair corporate of Women of Color.

With her accomplishments, Jemison is a woman who represents the theme of the conference, Johnson said.

Heather Suzette Wills, junior in Business and vice president of Women of Color, said choosing Jemison to speak at the conference was a unanimous decision.

“We felt it would be right to have someone of her status speak at our conference,” Wills said. “She’s done a lot of great things; she touched a lot of lives.”

Alexis McLaughlin, sophomore in LAS and Women of Color community service committee member, said Jemison will be speaking about her experiences, and consequently uplift the audience in understanding that anyone can achieve their dreams as well.

“I feel excited because this is the first time in a while that a dynamic figure like Mae Jemison will be speaking, which not only appeals to African Americans, but women of science,” said Brittany Lacey, junior in Communications and executive board member of Women of Color.

The conference is an event open to the public with the purpose of uplifting minority women, Wills said. Anyone can participate, but the workshops, formal dinner and brunch requires registration and costs $35.

“It’s also going to be a great venue for us to support each other,” Johnson said. “At a conference like this, everybody can see that they’re not alone.”

McLaughlin added that the conference will provide the opportunity for the audience to come together, and explore and reinvent themselves.

“It will be a great networking experience for black women and women of all races to attend,” McLaughlin said.

Women of Color was founded in 1989, and started as a way for women to unite on campus as well as in the community. Wills said being a part of Women of Color has given her the opportunity to work with other women by overcoming differences, and working towards a common and continuous goal – to uplift other women.

Wills said the members of Women of Color have put a lot of positive energy into the success of the conference.

“You can’t walk out of this conference upset, not knowing or not being able to redefine yourself or define yourself for the first time,” Wills said. “Every person who comes to the keynote address will learn something. It will be a positive experience.”

Terrell Starr contributed to this report.