Green plates could be required for sex offenders in Wisconsin

By Kelly Petersen

MADISON, Wis. – Wisconsin child sex offenders would have to display distinctive bright green license plates on their cars under a proposed bill announced Monday.

The bill, drafted by State Rep. Joel Kleefisch, R-Oconomowoc, Wisc., states that those convicted of first and second-degree child assault would be required to purchase bright green license plates for vehicles registered under their name.

Failure to purchase these plates would result in certain penalties.

Several state legislators joined Kleefisch in announcing the new legislation Monday at the Waukesha County, Wisc., Courthouse and are backing the bill, according to a statement from Kleefisch.

Supporters of the bill say requiring child sex offenders to put these identifiable license plates on their car is an important step to keeping communities safe.

State Rep. Scott Suder, R-Abbotsford, is one of the state lawmakers who supports Kleefisch’s proposed legislation.

“It’s an added layer of protection for parents and community members so that once they see the green license plate, they’re going to know that a major sex predator is in their midst,” Suder said.

“I believe people will take extra precaution knowing that,” he said.

Michael Pyritz, a legislative assistant for state Rep. Jeff Stone, R-Greendale, voiced similar concerns.

According to Pyritz, different color license plates for serious child sexual offenders would make it easier for both police and parents to monitor these offenders.

Opponents to this bill have said that requiring a child sex offender to have a bright green license plate will not solve the problem of sexual assault against children and may cause other problems as a result.

“People wouldn’t use the plates so you’d have people not only on the sex offender registry, but people on the registry driving without a license,” said state Rep. Joe Parisi, D-Madison.

Parisi and state Rep. Spencer Black, D-Madison, said the drivers of these cars might be subject to violence by those who recognize the license plates.

“If someone is that dangerous to need a plate, then they probably should be civilly confined and not let to drive around,” Black said.

Gov. Jim Doyle has put forth a total of around $11.5 million in his budget to go towards his Sex Offender Apprehension and Felony Enforcement initiative, according to Alec Loftus, communication specialist for the Wisconsin Department of Corrections.

Specifically, over $10 million would go toward the Global Positioning System program intended to “enhance public safety,” Loftus said.