Champaign record company wins Grammy

By Ann Coultas

What started as a passion for record collecting has grown into the creation of a Grammy-winning record company. Richard Martin started the Champaign-based Archeophone record company nine years ago with his wife. Archeophone Records finds old recordings from the owners’ personal collections, antique shops, and a network of collaborators. These recordings are edited for sound quality then transferred to CD. Archeophone Owner and Operator Richard Martin says he saw a need to preserve recordings that may otherwise be lost.

“It’s not a nostalgia type operation. Like oh, you know, the sweet old songs of yester year that your grandmother loved. That’s not what we’re doing. We’re doing serious historical recovery and analysis.”

In February the record company was awarded the Grammy for ” Best Historical Record.” The award-winning album “Lost Sounds” documents early African-American recordings from the 1890’s through the 1920’s. Martin says being awarded a Grammy is a great honor and will hopefully allow more people to know about what they are doing.

“We’re interested in raising awareness and getting more of this stuff out there and getting people interested in early 20th century American history.”

“Lost Sounds” was inspired by a book of the same title written by Tim Brooks in 2004. Brooks adapted his book for the 60-page booklet included with the album. Detailed liner notes include biographies of artists and information about tracks.