ISS debates ban of spray chalk in next election

By Riley Roberts

At last night’s Illinois Student Senate meeting brought a resolution up for information, which will be voted upon at the next meeting, would urge the Student Election Commission to ban the use of spray chalk for student campaigning in future years. Several remarked on the negative impact the widespread use of spray chalk has had in recent years.

“It looks like spray paint, like graffiti,” said Senator Frank Calabrese, sophomore in LAS, who authored the resolution. “Spray chalking this year is getting worse. They tried to power-wash it off, but you can still read ‘Chime’ everywhere.”

Calabrese noted that sidewalk chalk washes away easily in the rain, while spray chalk can last for months if it is not actively removed. He likened it to vandalism and suggested that its use tarnishes the University’s otherwise beautiful campus.

“We want to make Illinois a better place,” Calabrese said.

Amanda Palazzo, senior in LAS, voiced her support for the measure, which proposes censure, fines or refusal to certify a candidate as possible consequences.

“I’m a supporter of this resolution,” Palazzo said. “I think it really makes us look bad.”

The proposal, if passed at the next ISS meeting, would likely be taken under advisement by the election commission, who could choose to adopt it as an addition to their bylaws.

Several delegates also reported favorably on a lobbying trip to Springfield that took place earlier this week, suggesting that it was a success and should be continued on an annual basis.