Power restored after affecting housing, businesses

Ameren IP employees, center and left, talk with University Management Engineer Keith Erickson at the scene of an under-ground electrical disturbance outside of Sherman Hall at 909 S. Fifth St. on Thursday March 15, 2007. An underground wire popped and cau ME Online

By Daily Illini Staff Report

Power has been restored after a short outage Thursday evening.

The outage forced several businesses on Green Street in Campustown to close for about an hour.

“There was a transformer problem in Sherman Hall,” said David Pennicook, chief of the Champaign Fire Department. The grid between Armory and Green streets to Sixth and Fourth streets was shut down in order to address the issue.

An electrical line popped in an electrical manhole outside of Sherman Hall, 909 S. Fifth St. The live wire inside of the manhole was sparking for several minutes while officials from Ameren IP assessed and maintained the situation.

Pennicook recommended that residents take the stairways rather than elevators. The fire department has already been deployed to rescue those trapped in elavators.

“Of course, if there’s any problem, call us,” he added.

Power was also out on Green Street between Sixth and Wright Streets. A staff member at Illini Tower, 409 E. Chalmers St., also reported that power has been out at the residence hall for about an hour. Residents have not been asked to evacuate.

Though many businesses had closed, Chipotle remained open, though the line was extendng out the door.

Matt Lorenz, manager of Potbelly Sandwich Works, 501 E. Green St., said the outage was harmful for business.

“Our sandwiches are toasted and we need to keep everything cool. We don’t want to serve anything unhealthy to the public,” Lorenz said.