Champaign driver hits Parkland pedestrian

By Vasanth Sridharan

A 20-year-old Naperville man was hit by a car after getting off a 22 Illini bus early Thursday morning at the intersection of Lincoln and Springfield avenues.

According to an Urbana Police report, the man’s name is Patrick Newman. Linda Moore, vice president for student services at Parkland College, confirmed that the victim is a full-time student at Parkland this spring.

Carle Hospital said Newman is in the Intensive Care Unit as of Thursday afternoon but would not comment further on his condition.

According to a press release from the Urbana Police, the victim was in stable condition Thursday morning.

According to the release, the man had exited the bus on Springfield Avenue and crossed in front of it against the traffic light. He was then struck by a car driven by Swati Nagpal, a 25-year-old Champaign woman who was listed in the University directory as a student. The victim was later transported to Carle Hospital.

Newman was issued a citation for disobeying a traffic control device for the crosswalk signal. Nagpal was cited for not having insurance and registration.

Ajay Harpalani, graduate student, said he was in the car that hit the Naperville man. Harpalani said that the man crossed in front of the car while the car had a green light.