Student Senate to urge MTD changes

By Riley Roberts

At last night’s Illinois Student Senate meeting, delegates addressed some of the last pieces of legislation that will come before the body before new senators take office next month.

Among the items that will be acted upon at next week’s meeting – the last of this term – were a few internal changes and a resolution that would urge the Mass Transit District to revise some of their policies.

Senator Katie Dunne, sophomore in LAS, explained that the MTD resolution, which she jointly sponsored, asks for improved service for University students.

“There have been a few problems with the MTD that we would like to address,” Dunne said. “SafeRides and late night bus service for students who live off campus need to be improved.”

The measure would ask MTD officials to clarify SafeRides regulations and expand service to off-campus locations and near liquor establishments to make students safer. ISS members will vote on the resolution next week.

Also at next week’s meeting, senator Frank Calabrese, sophomore in LAS, will introduce a bylaw change designed to clarify rules related to senator delinquency, making it easier for delegates to understand their time obligations.

“Basically, we’re just trying to make confusing policies more clear,” Calabrese said. “I think it would be an improvement to the bylaws.”

The only items that came up for action were a small appropriation and a resolution banning the use of spray chalk in student elections. Both measures passed easily, although it was initially unclear whether the spray chalk legislation would be necessary since the University clarified its proper use as related to the Student Code, which prohibits the use of anything but easily washable sidewalk chalk.

“I assume the Student Election Commission will enforce the Student Code,” said Calabrese, who authored the resolution. Delegates decided to pass the measure anyway, hoping to emphasize its importance specifically as related to elections.

Next week marks the end of the current Senate term, after which all new senators will take office. All ISS meetings are held on Wednesday nights at 7 p.m. in the Illini Union’s Pine Lounge.