University to partner with bank for ATM card

By Pamela Nisivaco

A young girl carefully places cash, a credit card, driver’s license and her University i-card in the various pockets of her jeans before heading out for the night.

She must find space for everything she would normally fit into a purse.

But soon, students at the University could have a few less items to cram into their pockets and purses.

At the beginning of the fall 2007 semester, TCF Bank will partner with the University in the i-card and TCF Campus Banking Program.

The program offers students the option of linking their i-card to a TCF free-checking account with no minimum balance or service fees.

Students can also choose to use their University i-card as an ATM or debit card, but only if it is linked to a TCF bank account.

TCF Bank is excited about the offer because of its convenience for students, said Megan Biggam, vice president of marketing for TCF Bank. Many students who attend the University reside in Chicago and the Midwest.

With over 200 TCF Bank locations in the Chicagoland area alone, not including the numerous others spread across the Midwest, students can have access to their accounts when they go home, Biggam explained.

Based on other campus banking programs at other universities, the University is expecting a number of students, especially freshmen, to take advantage of this opportunity because of its low cost and convenience for students, said Peter Newman, University director of treasury operations, in an e-mail.

This relationship is expected to expand the continually growing i-card program.

“The TCF relationship provides the first of a number of planned enhancements to i-card services,” Newman said. “Technology used and delivered by the i-card program is making a big step forward.”

TCF Bank has been in the campus card business for over ten years, linking students’ identification cards with their banking services. TCF has established relationships and programs with numerous other universities, including Northern Illinois University and DePaul University.

“TCF has quite an extensive background in campus card programs like this,” Biggam said.

Incoming freshman for the fall 2007 semester at the University will have the opportunity to speak with a TCF Bank representative at their orientation program over the summer. All other students can meet with a representative at the beginning of the fall 2007 semester.

TCF will open a branch in the Illini Union Bookstore and seven ATMs located in high-traffic areas throughout campus, such as the Union and the library, Newman said.

“We are optimistic of high participation levels due to the great account benefits TCF is offering and the strong TCF market presence in the Chicago land area, which is home for many U of I students,” Newman said.

TCF campus banking program

The TCF program, planned for the fall 2007 semester, would allow students to:

• link i-card to free checking account with no minimum balance or service fees
  • use i-card as ATM or debit card

For more information, visit http://www.icard.uillinois.edu.