Student stabbed while abroad

By Drake Baer

A University student was recently stabbed while in Rome during his time studying abroad in Spain. Matthew Bochenek, junior in Engineering, is currently hospitalized after the incident, according to spokesperson on the issue Jeff Unger, director of the News Bureau.

Mary Kay Bochenek, his mother, said that Bochenek was struck from behind with an umbrella, according to Unger. He was then stabbed with a sharp object, possibly a knife.

According to Unger, Bochenek’s mother, Mary Kay Bochenek, said he was walking with a small group of friends when another group approached them, and the stabbing occurred.

His mother told the Chicago Tribune that the family doesn’t know why the fight happened or why Bochenek was attacked.

He was later taken to Fatebenefratelli Hospital in Rome.

Earlier reports coming from the Italian media, which circulated through American media as well, concluded that Bochenek was stabbed with an umbrella.

“The Italian media report was erroneous,” Unger said, explaining that it was a sharp implement, possibly a knife, rather than an umbrella.

The Bochenek family appreciates the support that they have received from the United States Embassy in Italy and the International Studies Department at the University, Unger said.

“According to his mother, Matt is making good progress,” Unger said.

Italian police are investigating the incident, Unger told The Associated Press.