Urbana residents voice concerns about Carle Foundation project

By Pamela Nisivaco

Residents of Urbana addressed the Urbana City Council Monday about their concerns regarding the Carle Foundation Hospital expansion. A representative from Carle gave a presentation and answered councilmembers’ questions.

Urbana city residents who addressed the council said they were not opposed to the expansion, but they had some concerns.

Catherine Connor. an Urbana resident, addressed the council on the closing of Coler Street, which would force residents to use roads congested with University traffic. Connor asked the council to seriously consider the effects of closing the street.

Jeffrey Cunningham, another Urbana resident, had concerns about light pollution that would accompany two new parking lots being built near his residence. Cunningham also had concerns about the environmental effects of the lots and said he is not satisfied with the man-made landscaping buffer he has seen.

The last of three public meetings held by Carle to discuss the possible expansion will be held in early May 2007.

Andrew Manzer, vice president of support services for Carle, said the concerns brought to the meeting by Urbana residents need to be addressed and further discussed.

Charlie Smyth, Ward 1, also said he is concerned about the closing of Coler, which is a major bike and pedestrian pathway to the south of Urbana.

Dennis Roberts, Ward 5, asked if Carle had considered underground parking.

Danielle Chynoweth, Ward 2, said Carle should consider other options for providing affordable housing, such as building on property already owned.

“Carle can really be a leader in the community to develop housing for the community,” said Chynoweth.

The council also brainstormed strategies to make the city more environmentally friendly at Monday’s meeting.