New developments accommodate Urbana’s growth

ME Online

ME Online

By Pamela Nisivaco

When most people living in Urbana want to shop at Menards or Meijer, they travel to Champaign. But with Urbana’s recent developments, residents and students at the University will have access to stores like these, as well as more dining, housing and shopping options.

“We’re working on a really good mix of residential and commercial developments,” said Tom Carrino, economic development manager for Urbana. “You need both to be healthy.”

Most of the development projects are mixed-use or multi-use sites. A mixed-use building incorporates both residential and commercial space into the same building. A multi-use building has living space and storefront space near one another, but in two separate buildings, he said.

University students looking for multi-use apartments can turn to the Pointe at U of I, 1710 S. Philo Road, which is a new apartment complex that will have a small commercial center next to it. This allows residents easy access to amenities such as grocery stores and other retailers, Carrino said.

Urbana is working on both new development and re-development projects. Carrino said he thinks Urbana is maintaining a good mixture of both. Stone Creek Commons, an upscale retail development located at Philo and Windsor Roads, is currently a development of offices and The Pines at Stone Creek Commons adds a retail aspect to the development.

The University is also involved in Urbana’s new developments. A re-development project is being planned for Orchard Downs Family Housing, 1900 S. Orchard St., which is owned by the University. Orchard Downs houses graduate students and other University students with families. Carrino said the University is paying four development groups to propose plans for the re-development project. Then, rather than voting on one design, the University will own the proposals and be able to choose what they want from each plan, Carrino said.

New developments are bringing an influx of new businesses to Urbana.

Although not all the tenants for all the development projects have been revealed, Carrino said he thinks Urbana will have a healthy mix of large and small retailers.

Mary Dennis, business manager for the Urbana business association, said she doesn’t think businesses coming in with the new developments will push existing retailers out of business.

Instead she thinks they will benefit each other.

Dennis said Urbana was on a development plateau, but now is in a period of growth that will benefit the community. New developments, such as Menards and Meijer, allow people to shop in Urbana instead of traveling to Champaign, keeping the tax dollars in Urbana, she added.

Although Urbana’s growth will require additional services from the city, it is well positioned to handle it, Carrino said. Growth will bring more options for Urbana residents as well as students at the University.

“A good thing for a healthy community is options,” Carrino said.