‘Week of Action’ increases Darfur awareness

By Andrea Cheng

Over the past week, University students have come together to make a local difference concerning a global issue: genocide in the Darfur region of Sudan. The Week of Action, from April 16 to 22, was devoted to raising awareness, funds and political activism.

“The idea that we wanted was to take it one step further and promote more action,” said Katie Flamand, sophomore in LAS and Great Lakes regional coordinator of STAND: A Student Anti-Genocide Coalition. “It’s important to tell people about Darfur, but it’s more important to tell them what they can do about it.”

The highlight of the week involved the makings of a mural where passersby traced their hands and provided their names and addresses. This mural is designed for Rep. Tim Johnson, R-Ill., to show that the people of Champaign-Urbana expect him to have a hand in stopping genocide.

The mural will be presented to Johnson on Tuesday when three legislative acts will also be pitched as a way for him to help end the crisis.

“Members of Congress aren’t going to do anything unless they know we expect them to,” Flamand said.

Flamand is responsible for the six states in the Great Lakes region. She sends out information and updates on the national campaign against the Darfur genocide.

Action Darfur was founded on campus in the spring of 2006, and is dedicated to promote awareness of genocide in Sudan. Action Darfur is a chapter of STAND, a national organization.

The north and south of Sudan were at war until 2003, when the government reached a peace agreement concerning the distribution of governmental power and oil revenues. However, the agreement excluded the western region of Sudan – Darfur.

As a result, rebel groups were formed in reaction to perceived marginalization. In retaliation, the government initiated a campaign to systematically eliminate the people of Darfur through the implementation of armed militia, according to Flamand.

From the bombings, rapes and pillages, there have been approximately 450,000 murders and 2.8 million have been displaced from their homes and are currently residing in refugee camps, said Flamand.

“It’s the greatest humanitarian crisis of our generation,” said Flamand, “It’s deplorable.”

Joseph Hoisington, junior in LAS and member of Action Darfur, chose to become involved due to moral beliefs.

“It’s pretty thoroughly black and white,” Hoisington said. “I had to choose something to get involved and this is one that makes sense to me.”

Action Darfur disseminated information throughout the week on how individuals can become involved by providing a hotline, 1-800-GENOCIDE. The hotline connects an individual to either the governor, senator, representative or the White House, and provides talking points to ensure a smooth dialogue regarding the first genocide of the 21st century.

“There are simple things you can do to make a difference,” Flamand said. “It can seem daunting to students, but it’s a grassroot effort.”

The last event, Dance for Darfur, took place Sunday evening and featured a variety of performances. Proceeds were donated to the Genocide Intervention Network.

Jenny Byelick, sophomore in AHS and one of two outreach coordinators for Action Darfur, said the entire week helped promote awareness among students.

“We’re not going to stop genocide, but just making small steps really feels like you’re making a big difference,” Byelick said. “That’s why I stick with it.”

For more information, contact: [email protected]