Urbana reviews ban status

By Pamela Nisivaco

A concerned Urbana resident addressed the Urbana City Council Monday about the implications of the recent Champaign City Council elections. George Carlisle Jr., member of CU-Smoke Free, said he is concerned that the recently elected Champaign City council members Deborah Frank Feinen and Karen Foster are moving towards a repeal of the smoking ban in Champaign.

Carlisle said the possibility of Champaign repealing the smoking ban is a serious concern for the CU-Smoke Free Group. If the ban is repealed, the group is proposing a boycott of Champaign bars and restaurants, he said. For health reasons it is in the interest of the public that secondhand smoke be eliminated.

“We can’t afford to let Urbana or Champaign become smoking cities again,” Carlisle said.

Robert Myers, planning manager for the city of Urbana, said if Champaign repeals their smoking ban it puts Urbana in an awkward position.

“If we don’t repeal the ban, we would have different standards than our sister city,” Myers said.

The council also voted unanimously Monday on a motion to direct the historic preservation incentive to the city staff. Alice Novak, a part-time instructor at the University, teaches a class in historic preservation. Students in the class observe properties in the Urbana area and survey them for historic preservation. Myers said the class has surveyed over 500 properties in Urbana. The city is proposing that students from the class nominate Urbana buildings to be historical landmarks, he said.

The council also suggested that Urbana residents uncertain of how to do the research for historical preservation partner with University students. Brandon Bowersox, Ward 4, said residents need to be educated on how to fill out the application, and partnering with students can help residents with the research aspect.

“Education is key,” said Robert Lewis, Ward 3, regarding historic preservation incentives.