Champaign votes against funding for emergency assistance program

By David Just

The Champaign City Council voted 5-4 against transferring $26,000 of city funds to the Champaign Township in a straw poll Tuesday night.

The money was going to be used for an emergency assistance program supported by Township Supervisor Linda Abernathy.

The program was budgeted at $20,000 per year to alleviate financial hardships on people who are in danger of eviction, cannot afford transportation to work, or need additional money to afford prescription medication.

Several Champaign residents spoke to the council in support of the program.

“It’s not that much (money) to the city,” Karen Medina said.

“It hurts us when the poorest of the poor are not minimally looked after,” Medina added.

Carl Estarbrook, also a Champaign resident, said a plan like this seems like the only thing keeping the city from an “abysmal system,” citing the current setup as “terrible.”

Councilman Tom Bruno responded to these comments by imploring the people to pass a referendum.

“I don’t find it helpful to have someone throw out that we are not compassionate,” Bruno said. “All the folks out there who are concerned about getting this done ought to get the support of their fellow citizens and pass a referendum.”

The City Council also approved a full time plans reviewer position to the Building Safety Division, which will cost $76,091 annually with a one-time cost of $20,000 for office space, office furniture and a computer.

The position is expected to reduce the delays and inefficiencies of contracting plan reviews from outside sources.

Also discussed at the meeting:

• The City Council heard a presentation on the “Big.Small.All” program to raise public awareness of the vision for Champaign, a community effort to plan the future of Champaign County.
  • The City Council voted in favor of three revisions to the Capital Improvement Plan, involving the Parking fund, North I-74 Development Area Fund and Infrastructure Master Planning. They also finalized the 10-year CIP as proposed.