What you need to buy before you’re on campus

By Martha Spalding

Quick. It’s the beginning of August and college is just around the corner. What should freshmen bring with them to the residence halls?

A mini fridge and microwave are two of the must-haves, at least according to Lindsay Janicki, senior in LAS.

“I would also recommend bringing bookcases because the shelving in the dorms is not big enough for all your books,” Janicki said.

While Janicki wanted to make sure her room was filled with snacks and other delicious treats, Janicki’s mother, Denise, stressed the need to be clean. She made sure her daughter left with cleaning supplies and Lysol wipes because “it was so dirty when we got there.”

Along with keeping her dorm room clean, Janicki also tried to avoid long lines at the local stores by minimizing what she needed to buy once in Campustown.

“It’s a good idea to bring a lot of things from home because the stores here run out of stock of so many things,” she said.

The University housing Web site also recommends contacting your roommate as soon as the notification arrives in the mail sometime in July.

“Discuss what you’re planning to bring,” the Web site said. “Decide who will bring major items such as the telephone, answering machine, TV, stereo, carpet, etc.”

Despite having her daughter leave home, the hardest part of moving in for Denise was unloading.

Janicki lived on the 10th floor of Illinois Street Residence Halls her freshman year and Denise had to make lots of trips up and down the stairs because the elevators were so backed up.

“The carts are pretty useless because they are so small,” she said. “We had to carry most of our stuff up the stairs.”

Although move-in day was difficult, Janicki said she still enjoyed her time in the residence halls and recommends that incoming freshman “keep organized because you live in such a small space.”

Janicki also highlights the need to pack lightly and not to bring entire wardrobes for summer and winter.

“Don’t bring things that you might need, but don’t really need,” Janicki said. “Only bring the necessities.”

What to bring to campus:

• Desk lamp
  • Telephone, answering machine (the phone line in your room is already connected, and there is no charge for local calls)
  • Pillow, bed linens, blankets (36″x 80″ for extra-long twin beds)
  • Alarm clock, headphones
  • Room decorations
  • Pictures of family and friends
  • Clothes hangers
  • Bathrobe, shower shoes
  • Small bucket for carrying toiletries
  • Towels, washcloth, soap, shampoo
  • Laundry basket/bag, detergent, rolls of quarters
  • Coffee mug, drinking cups, dishes and cutlery for snacks
  • Assorted plastic containers with tight lids for storing snacks, detergent, or other items
  • Umbrella, rainwear
  • A power strip with a 15 amp circuit breaker; it must be UL approved with a heavy cord and three prong grounding (extension cords are not permitted)
  • Poster putty (no masking tape or scotch tape on wood or painted surfaces)
  • Winter clothing (unless you can get it later or have it sent)
  • Flashlight
  • DVD or VCR player
  • Ethernet cable to connect to University network

Things to leave at home:

• Wireless hub
  • Halogen lamps or halogen bulbs of any kind
  • Hotplate, skillet, toaster, toaster oven, rice cooker, George Foreman Grill, or similar cooking or high wattage appliances
  • Air conditioner, electric or space heater
  • Candles (regardless if used for lighting or decoration), kerosene heater, incense, scent pot burners, or other fire hazards
  • Pets (except fish)
  • Waterbed
  • Nail picture hangers (no nails or thumbtacks in woodwork or walls)
  • Constructions (such as “lofts” or “room dividers”) are not allowed in the residence halls, and standard room furnishings cannot be moved out of your room or stored.
  • Weapons, including air pellet, soft pellet, water, paintball, or BB guns; swords; knives; etc.
  • Alcohol
  • Oversized stereo speakers
  • Your own mattress, waste paper basket

The above guidelines apply to University Residence Halls only. For specific information about Private Certified Housing and for more move-in tips visit www.housing.uiuc.edu.

Information compiled from University Housing.