Champaign gives funds to agencies

By David Just

The Champaign City Council approved funds for agencies that earned community service grants Tuesday night.

In a 6-3 decision, the council voted to give the full amount requested to the groups that received five or more votes. Seven agencies will receive those funds, while two – the TIMES Center and Developmental Services Center – will receive about one-fourth of the funds requested.

A proposed alternative provided for each agency to receive 19 percent less than the requested amount, but it was voted down.

Councilman Vic McIntosh said the option the council decided to use was the right one.

“This is probably one of the tougher things we do,” Councilman Vic McIntosh said. “We wish we had $289,418, but we don’t.”

In all, $116,825 will go to the agencies.

The TIMES center requested $19,106, but will receive only $5,184. The Developmental Services Center will receive only $6,078 of its requested $20,000.

The City Council also voted 8-0 in favor of allowing Desman and Associates to continue planning the design, construction and engineering of a parking facility on the south side of Hill Street between Randolph and Neil streets. The facility will include permit parking and hourly parking, which is planned to cost 75 cents per hour.

Councilman Tom Bruno said he would like to see the permit spaces auctioned off to the public to ensure they are not over or undervalued by the city.

“You let the marketplace determine what (the spaces) are worth,” Bruno said. “I would suggest we think about eBay or a city-wide auction.”

If the spots aren’t auctioned, the permit spaces will cost $60 per month for unreserved parking and $85 per month for a personal spot. The facility is projected to cost $10,900,000 and should be done by Fall 2008.