Suspect taken into Champaign County custody following break in, multiple shootings

By Martha Spalding

A Champaign man was arrested Sunday night on preliminary charges of attempted murder after firing shots at civilians and police, according to a press release from the Urbana Police Department.

Urbana police were called to the scene around 8 p.m. last night after receiving a report of shots being fired. Officers were able to locate two female victims who had been shot at by the man, but he had fled before police could apprehend him.

According to preliminary investigative efforts, the man, Torriano Johnson, a 32-year-old Champaign resident, allegedly tried to force entry into the woman’s apartment, and when entry was denied he fired shots into the building.

The two women then fled to another area of the apartment complex and one of the women took shelter in an apartment of a couple she didn’t know. The man then tried to force his way into the couple’s apartment firing shots inside, causing the woman and the couple to flee. The suspect then fled the apartment area in a vehicle.

Following the attempted break in, the suspect allegedly was found in a car that matched the description of a stolen vehicle. Police attempted a traffic stop to check the vehicle at the area near North Mattis Avenue and Springfield Drive. Johnson allegedly shot at the officers and fled the scence in the vehicle.

Stop sticks were used to halt the vehicle as the man traveled through the Garden Hills residential area. According to the police reports, he then exited the vehicle on foot and forced his way into a home and began firing shots in the direction of the officers.

The S.W.A.T. team was then deployed and nearby residents were asked to vacate their homes for safety.

The suspect surrendered to the police around 11:51 p.m. and was taken into custody at Champaign County’s Sheriff’s Office where he was charged with unlawful possession and use of a weapon by a felon, aggravated discharge of a firearm, fleeing or attempting to elude police, home invasion and attempted murder first degree.

None of the victims associated with the original incident suffered any serious injuries. The occupants of the home invaded by the suspect, at least two adults and two juveniles, did not report any injuries.

The suspect has allegedly been linked to several other incidents in Champaign and Urbana on Sunday including entering a Mobile gas statoin on Neil Street armed with a weapon. The alleged crimes took place prior to police contact with the suspect.

Steve Contorno contributed to this report