Arcola standoff suspects charged

By David Mercer

TUSCOLA, Ill. – Two Chicago men were charged Wednesday with a combined 48 counts, including attempted murder, for a crime spree that began with a traffic stop and ended with a sheriff’s deputy shot in the face and a standoff in a central Illinois bank.

William B. Thompson, 26, and Yusef Kareem Brown, 23, were arraigned separately in a tiny room inside the Douglas County Jail, rather than in the courthouse, because of security concerns.

Thompson was charged with 28 counts, including three for attempted murder, three for aggravated kidnapping and nine for aggravated unlawful restraint charges. Brown was charged with 20 counts, including three for attempted murder.

Both men were assigned public defenders. Brown’s attorney, Jeannine Garrett, said afterward that she hadn’t yet spoken to her client.

Douglas County State’s Attorney Kevin Nolan did not speak during the arraignment. He told reporters afterward that “the severity (of the charges) speaks for themselves.”

Thompson and Brown are in custody in lieu of $5 million bond each. Their next hearing is scheduled for July 13.

The charges stem from a daylong string of crimes last Thursday that began with a traffic stop on Interstate 57 and ended only after the shooting of Douglas County Chief Deputy Tommy Martin and a standoff in an Arcola bank.

Martin remained hospitalized in critical condition Wednesday.

The men allegedly sped away from the midmorning stop after a drug-sniffing dog noticed something in the Infiniti they were driving, state police said.

Authorities said the men robbed a house a few miles away and stole a van and a pickup. One of the men allegedly shot at Martin as they drove past his patrol car, hitting Martin in the face and torso. The suspects then abandoned the truck and drove away in the van.

Police chased the van at speeds of more than 100 mph before the driver lost control of the vehicle not far from the First Mid-Illinois Bank and Trust in Arcola, about 150 miles south of Chicago.

Brown was immediately taken into custody, but police said Thompson fled into the bank and took five hostages. He released four over the next seven hours before walking out, unarmed, with the fifth and turning himself in.

Chicago police also were investigating the death of a man who owned the Infiniti driven during Thompson’s and Brown’s initial traffic stop.

The car’s owner, 40-year-old Arnie Graves, was found stabbed to death Thursday night in his condominium on Chicago’s South Side. Satanic messages and paraphernalia were found at the scene, including the numbers 666, the sign of the Antichrist, police said.

No one has been arrested in Graves’ killing, and police haven’t said whether they believe Brown and Thompson knew him. Nolan said Wednesday he could not elaborate on a possible connection between the men and Graves’ death.