Illinois House approves temporary budget

By Christopher Wills

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. – The Illinois House approved a temporary budget Tuesday to keep state government operating during July despite bitter differences that have stalled action on a yearlong budget.

Republican lawmakers took advantage of the opportunity to pin blame for the stalemate on the Democrats who control the House, Senate and governor’s office.

And lawmakers of both parties warned that the extension could create a temptation to let the stalemate drag on while keeping government open with a series of emergency budgets.

“It takes away a real sense of urgency to get things done. We could be doing this through December unless we address this now,” said Rep. Jack Franks, D-Woodstock.

The current budget expires June 30, but state leaders have failed to come up with a new spending plan for the next fiscal year. Without a new budget, the state wouldn’t be able to pay employees or deliver services.

To avoid a shutdown, Gov. Rod Blagojevich and legislative leaders agreed on a one-month spending plan – basically an extension of the current budget.

The measure passed 111-3 in the House. It now moves to the Senate.

Republicans noted that they were excluded from budget negotiations while Democrats bickered so long that they missed a legislative deadline.

Rep. Bill Black, R-Danville, said Republicans are willing to cooperate but not to pass extension after extension while Democrats continue to feud.

“You control every state constitutionally elected office in the state of Illinois,” Black told Democrats. “You campaigned for it. You got it. Now show us in the next three or four weeks that you know how to use that majority.”

Blagojevich and Senate President Emil Jones, D-Chicago, have proposed a budget that includes a mix of new casinos and higher business taxes to generate $5 billion for health care and education.

House Speaker Michael Madigan prefers to increase spending by about $1 billion, through a mix of natural revenue growth and higher business taxes. Schools would get most of the new money under his plan.