News briefs: County Democrats to host Iraq forum featuring military aid organizations

By Jenette Sturges

The Champaign County Democrats would like to invite members of the community to their next forum, “Thoughts on the Iraq War” Wednesday, July 11, at 7 p.m.

The meeting will feature a visit from local “unsung heroes,” organizations supporting soldiers in Iraq including The Champaign County Veterans Association, Marine Comfort Quilts, the Champaign-Urbana Military Mom’s Prayer and Support Group and the Danville VA Hospital. The organizations will be collecting gifts to send to deployed soldiers. Collection boxes will also be placed at the Champaign County Democrats headquarters and the Urbana Market at the Square, also known as the farmers’ market.

The July meeting will also feature a showing of “Iraq for Sale: The War Profiteers,” a documentary by Robert Greenwald.

The forum will be held at the Champaign County Democrats headquarters, 14 E. Washington St. For more information, call (217) 359-3760.

Cities accepting nominations for C-U International Humanitarian Awards

The cities of Champaign and Urbana are currently accepting nominations for the 2007 C-U International Humanitarian Awards. The award will honor up to six individuals and one organization for their commitment to outstanding leadership and global citizenship.

According to a press release from the city of Champaign, the purpose of the award is to “honor individuals whose work has contributed significantly to international understanding, cooperation, friendship and development,” as well as recognize the international contributions of Champaign County and educate the public about the interconnectedness of “our local and global community.”

Nominations may be submitted to the Community Relations Office of Champaign until Aug. 31, and must be accompanied by a nomination form. Recipients will be awarded at a ceremony on Oct. 18.

For more information on how to nominate, contact John Walls at (217) 403-8830.

Compiled by Jenette Sturges