“Business as usual” for University despite budget woes

By Andrew Mason

With budget negotiations dragging on in Springfield and with a possible government shutdown on the horizon, University of Illinois officials are seeking to reassure the community that the Universities will be able to operate normally, at least for awhile.

“We are optimistic that a state budget resolution will be forthcoming soon,” said University of Illinois Vice President and Chief Financial Officer Walter Knorr in a press release on Wednesday. “Meantime, it is business as usual across our three campuses and central administration as we prepare to begin the academic year.”

Following a letter Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich sent to state employees on Tuesday directing them to report to work today, University President B. Joseph White reiterated in an email to faculty and staff that they do the same.

According to Knorr, the University will not have trouble meeting its financial commitments through the month of August.

While the Governor and legislative leaders continue to hammer out a new year-long budget or decide to pursue another one-month budget agreement, the University has developed a Web site where concerned employees and students can visit for information about the situation.

Updates can be found online at http://www.uillinois.edu/our/news/2008Budget.cfm