Avoid producing noise violations, drink responsibly, pay for parking

By Katie Slaughter

With the fall semester approaching, it is important for students to be reminded of campus policies regarding legal issues in order to keep themselves and those around them safe.

“Everyone thinks we’re the bad guys. We’re not. We’re not trying to stop people from enjoying their college experience. We want you to have the best years of your life here. However, it is our responsibility to keep you safe, and to do that, we need your help,” said Lt. Skip Frost, patrol division commander and bomb squad commander for the UI Police Department.

One of the most common legal violations on campus is underage drinking. Lt. Frost explained that, in most cases, a housing report and a report from the University Police Department will be generated in response to underage drinking in the University Residence Halls. In rare cases, citations are issued.

Lt. Frost said the University Police Department works very closely with the Alcohol and Other Drugs Office in cases of underage consumption within University buildings.

“We attempt to educate first, but if it’s someone who is continually getting in trouble, then we don’t have a problem writing a citation,” Lt. Frost said.

In the campus bars, a city ordinance is issued for underage drinking, explained Lt. Brad Yohnka, South District Commander for the Champaign Police Department. The fine for this offense is $290, he said. The fine is $135 in Urbana.

A $300 fine is also issued for violators using fake identification. This charge is submitted to the state, and the person in possession of the ID and also the rightful ID owner will have their driver’s licenses suspended, Lt. Yohnka said.

In the case of noise violations, Lt. Frost said the University Police Department usually issues a warning for first offenses, but will write a report if it feels the need, which is then submitted to the University and dealt with through student discipline.

Lt. Yohnka said noise violations carry a $155 fine. He said it is important to remember that noise violations apply not just to residence halls and apartments, but also to automobiles.

Michael Jay, Director of Public Relations and Communications at Campus Property Management, a primary housing provider for University students, explained that if there are three or more noise complaints filed with the police department during the lease term, the violator will have the option of terminating the lease.

Lt. Yohnka said Thursday-Saturday “student party patrols” will respond to the initial complaint of a loud party or loud music. The student patroller will issue a warning, but if there is another complaint, the police will respond.

Pedestrian safety has been one of the main focuses of the University Police Department for the past two years or so, explained Lt. Frost. He said this is one of the biggest safety issues on campus.

“People are so worried about violent crime, but reality is that we have had more people hurt in motor vehicle accidents and pedestrian accidents in the past decade than we have in aggravated batteries and assaults,” Lt. Frost said.

Lt. Frost said the University Police Department will begin with educational enforcement at the beginning of the semester. He said this applies to drivers as well as pedestrians.

The University Police Department will be hosting a “Pedestrian Safety Awareness Day” on September 6 on the south side of the Union.

Lt. Yohnka explained that parking violations are also a major issue on campus.

“It’s best not to ignore the parking tickets because they do multiply. The fines can be increased,” Lt. Yohnka said.

If a student parks in someone else’s rented parking space, whether that is in a parking lot or in a private apartment parking area, the vehicle will be towed, Lt. Yohnka said.

Lt. Yohnka said it is important to ensure license plate registrations are renewed every year. Vehicles parked in public areas with expired licensed plate stickers will be towed at the owner’s expense, he explained.

Lt. Yohnka also said city ordinances are usually issued for the possession of illegal drugs such as marijuana. The fine is $300.

A state charge can be issued and the violator could be taken to jail, but it is up to the discretion of the officer dealing with the offense, he said.

Jay said if any tenants living in the Campus Property Management apartments are caught possessing illegal drugs, the police will be called immediately and eviction could result.

The University and Champaign police departments continually emphasize that their primary concern is students’ safety.

“We want people to look to us as a resource. We want to help you address quality of life issues,” Lt. Frost said.