Moving on up: Freshmen settle in

Erica Magda

Erica Magda

The expressways leading into Champaign were crowded with minivans, trailers and packed cars as the student body returned to campus. From Thursday through Saturday, approximately 7,000 freshmen and 3,000 returning students moved in to University housing and private certified housing.

Standing out in their bright orange shirts, a team of about 800 Illini Guides helped students move in to their residence halls. The I-Guide program has been running for 60 years, making it the oldest University housing student-led group.

Construction in and around the residence halls did not interfere with the move-in process.

The dining hall in the Pennsylvania Avenue Residence Halls was closed last spring for renovations. Kirsten Ruby, assistant director of housing for marketing, said that construction should not impede new residents.

“We hope (move-in) will be as smooth as previous years,” Ruby said.

During construction, both sides of the dining room at the Florida Avenue Residence Halls will be open to accommodate the increase in students.

With the demolition of Illini Orange this summer, there is also construction around the Champaign residence halls. A new parking lot is being constructed near Snyder, Scott and Hopkins Halls.

University Police officer Anthony Carpenter was directing traffic on Saturday.

“It’s not 90 degrees out here, it’s not bumper to bumper, so I’m happy,” Carpenter said.

Vince Zwit, freshman in LAS, stood on First Street outside Hopkins Hall on Saturday morning next to a pile of boxes and other college essentials. “I’m just watching it for a friend from high school,” he said. “I got here early around 8:30 and there weren’t as many people here.” Zwit said he was excited to start meeting new people, even though he was nervous to be on his own for the first time.

Jeanette Conley, sophomore in Business, woke up at 6:45 a.m. Saturday morning to start working as an I-Guide by 8 a.m. She said the day was not as hectic as she was expecting. “I have been going back and forth all day,” Conley said. She said the worst part about helping with move-in was carrying the heavy carts outside after they were unloaded. By 11:30 a.m., Conley was not tired yet but planned on taking a nap when she was done at 4 p.m.

Beverly Feldt stood outside Garner Hall near a small pile of her only child’s things, looking through her black sunglasses at buildings she had walked past as a University student. “A lot on campus has changed, but this is pretty much the same,” she said. Feldt said she lived in Van Doren Hall as a freshman and drove from Homewood, Ill. with her husband to drop off their daughter Alice, freshman in FAA.

Arms full of bare white pillows, Kate Seniwongse, freshman in FAA, followed her parents to the entrance of her residence hall. Seniwongse and her roommate talked over the summer, but they were randomly matched. Living in a tiny room with another person didn’t seem to faze her. “I don’t have any expectations about my room,” she said, smiling slightly. “I’m just nervous about meeting new people.”

University Housing employee Justin Parker spent Saturday driving around the Champaign residence halls in a golf cart stocked with cold water. The water was provided by Housing to University students and family or friends helping with move-in. “There are four of us split up between the residence halls,” Parker said. The moderate weather kept demands fairly low. “It’s a pretty easy job compared to what other people have been doing today.”

Michael and Mary Hague pulled the last items from the trunk of their car as their daughter Stacy went to get her room key. “It looks like she has a little bit more than she needs,” Michael said. Mary smiled and said the couple’s older son graduated from the University two years ago. “All the move-ins are a blur by this time,” she said.

Yu Chen, freshman in LAS, waved from his first floor room in Carr Hall to his friend Ken Grigsby of Moline, Ill., who was waiting with Chen’s belongings. “(Chen) just took his TV in there. That will officially make it his room,” Grigsby said. Chen had only visited the University once before, so he was excited to finally be living on campus. “I can’t wait to walk around and see where everything is,” Chen said.

Saturday morning was not the first time Lavonda Grandberry moved one of her daughters into college, but it was the first time she would be far away from her daughter Kristin, freshman in LAS. “This is the first time we are going to be miles and miles away from each other,” Lavonda Grandberry said. Grandberry said she wanted to make sure her daughter was settled in. “I’m as excited as she is, if not more,” Grandberry said.

Officer Jon Whittington has seen many move-in days as a University police officer. Standing under a tent in the front lawn of the Illinois Street Residence Halls, Wittington said that most of the residents and parents have been in good spirits while moving in Saturday morning. “The big thing here is always the weather. But today the temperature is just right,” Wittington said.

Chancellor Richard Herman greeted two parents as they waited with their son’s unloaded belongings on the curb in front of ISR. He said it was nice to see the scenes of move-in day: the smiles and sadness on parents’ faces, siblings helping out and the excitement of freshmen who know all the opportunities in front of them. “This is a nice time,” Herman said. “It gives a sense of renewal with the new group of students.”

Amanda Spizzirri, freshman in LAS, and her older sister pulled boxes from the family car. “I went random for my roommates,” she said. “It’s going to be interesting but I hope everything goes pretty well.” Spizzirri said having friends living in the same residence hall as her is comforting. “I already know at least four people,” she said.