Odds and Ends: Missing German kangaroo found after mountain chase

By The Associated Press

BERLIN – Skippi, a wily kangaroo on the run since early August was returned to his home at a petting zoo Monday in southern Germany, but not after a chase through the German Alps that left the animal with a strained leg.

The marsupial was captured in a cornfield near Leutkirch im Allgaeu, almost 10 miles from where his journey began.

Though residents in the area had reported multiple sightings of the kangaroo over the past few weeks, Skippi managed to elude authorities every time.

But earlier Monday, police received a call from someone claiming to have seen the animal in a cornfield not far from the last place he was spotted following a run-in with a car Friday.

Authorities captured the kangaroo and brought him to a veterinarian, who determined he had strained ligaments in one of his legs. He was then returned to his home at the petting zoo.

College student hopes her 765 hugs broke a record

PROVO, Utah – Kneeling for children and stretching to embrace taller people, a college student believes she’s hugged her way into the record books.

Jordan Pearce, 18, said she hugged 765 people in less than an hour Saturday and plans to send the results to Guinness World Records.

“I feel like I’m on cloud nine,” Pearce said.

The hugs took months of planning. Pearce and her family had to apply to Guinness World Records with detailed plans. The event had to be supervised by two prominent members of the community and covered by the news media.

District Judge Lynn Davis and state Sen. Curt Bramble counted the hugs.

“I was getting pretty glistening,” Pearce said of hugging – and sweating – in the hot sun.

A new record will not be approved until Guinness gets photographs, video and written statements from witnesses. The record is 612 hugs in an hour, the Daily Herald of Provo reported.

From Associated Press Reports