Blagojevich defends budget cuts as ‘moral’ choices

By Christopher Wills

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. – Gov. Rod Blagojevich defended his state budget cuts Tuesday as moral choices meant to help people, but he couldn’t explain why the cuts largely helped political allies and hurt opponents.

Still, he denied that politics played a role in his actions.

Blagojevich also stood by his decision to sue House Speaker Michael Madigan over a series of special sessions that the governor called and legislators largely ignored. He said the courts need to clarify the governor’s power over special sessions.

The Democratic governor cut $463 million from the budget before signing it into law last week. The cuts hit health care for the poor, raises for home-care workers and pet projects requested by lawmakers.

Blagojevich cut virtually all projects requested by House Democrats and Senate Republicans, two groups with which he has strong disagreements. He spared money for his Senate Democratic allies and for House Republicans, where he needs votes to sustain his spending vetoes.

He also approved most of the projects requested by members of a legislative panel that is likely to review rules for new health programs he wants.

Blagojevich, appearing Tuesday in Du Quoin to sign a bill, called budgets “moral documents. They are agreements to help people.”

He insisted his cuts, which could still be reversed by lawmakers, were intended to help people by cutting wasteful spending.

“If you make the decision about what’s more important — getting a child health care or investing in a resale shop, or getting a woman access to a mammogram or investing in salsa festivals – I think the choices are pretty obvious,” he said.

Blagojevich called a series of special sessions over the summer in an attempt to force lawmakers to stay in Springfield and negotiate a new state budget.

Now he is suing Madigan, a fellow Chicago Democrat, for not holding the sessions at the specified time and for telling lawmakers they should skip some of the sessions. Blagojevich considers that an unconstitutional infringement on his power to order special sessions – an argument that Madigan rejects.

“We think a court needs to get involved and clarify precisely what the Constitution is,” Blagojevich said.