College regrets engineering e-mail mistake

By Susan Kantor

Note: A pdf version of the e-mail in question is currently unavailable by Internet Explorer and Safari users. If you are experiencing trouble viewing the document, please try using a different browser.

The College of Engineering Dean’s Office sent an e-mail yesterday to the students affected by an e-mail sent on Aug. 24 containing the personal information of more than 5,000 College of Engineering students.

The e-mail informs the students that their “name, e-mail address, major, gender, race/ethnicity, class, admission term, Spring 2007 grade point average, cumulative grade point average, local address and local telephone number” were included in a document attached to the e-mail. The document did not include the students’ social security numbers or University identification numbers.

“The College of Engineering deeply regrets that this situation occurred,” Umberto Ravaioli, interim associate dean for academic affairs, stated in the e-mail. “We assure you that this matter is being vigorously addressed and procedures are being changed to ensure that this kind of disclosure does not occur again. The University takes very seriously the need to protect your personal information.”

The e-mail also states that students can contact the College of Engineering Office of Academic Affairs if they have additional questions.