Briefs: Counseling service hosts miniature golf fundraiser

By Amanda Graf and Susan Kantor

ABC Counseling and Family Services is hosting its first ever “Putt Fore Kids” fundraiser at Old Orchards Links in Savoy, on Saturday, Sept. 22 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.

ABC is a nonprofit organization dedicated to providing counseling services to children affected by sexual abuse. The event will feature miniature golf and a silent auction to raise community awareness and funds in the Champaign-Urbana area.

For more information call Trisha at (309)451-9495 or ABC’s Urbana office at 384-8390.

Unit 4 schools get out early due to extreme heat

Unit 4 schools without central air conditioning will be released one hour early today due to extreme heat, according to a press release from Beth Shepperd, assistant superintendent.

Buses will follow early-release schedules and Kids Plus programs will begin an hour early.

Temperatures are expected to drop Thursday, but the heat index will be monitored and parents will be informed of any further schedule changes.

One lane to be closed on Springfield Avenue today through end of work week

One westbound lane on Springfield Avenue between Randolph Street and State Street will be closed today due to construction. The lane is planned to reopen Friday, Sept. 7. as long as weather permits.

The closure is due to the repair of a storm sewer. During this time, Springfield Avenue westbound traffic will be diverted into one lane between Randolph Street and State Street.

According to a press release, the public is encouraged to travel on alternative routes to avoid the Springfield Avenue construction. The public is also encouraged to obey all construction signs during construction.

For any concerns, contact the Public Works Department of the city of Champaign at 403-4710 or visit www.ci.champaign.il.us

Complied by Amanda Graf and Susan Kantor