Bush formally chooses judge as Gonzales’ replacement

President Bush, right, announces his choice for attorney general, retired federal judge Michael Mukasey, left, to replace Alberto Gonzales, Monday, Sept. 17, 2007, in the Rose Garden of the White House in Washington. THE ASSOCIATED PRESS, CHARLES DHARAPAK

ASSOCIATED PRESS

By Lara Jakes Jordan

WASHINGTON – Former federal judge Michael Mukasey, a tough-on-terrorism jurist with an independent streak, was tapped by President Bush on Monday to take over as attorney general and lead a Justice Department accused of being too close to White House politics.

Mukasey, the former chief U.S. district judge in the Manhattan courthouse just blocks from ground zero, will likely face a relatively smooth confirmation by a Democratic-led Senate that has demanded new Justice Department leadership for months. He replaces Alberto Gonzales, a Texan who announced his departure three weeks ago amid investigations that began with the firing of U.S. attorneys and mushroomed into doubts about his credibility.

Appointed to the bench in 1987 by President Reagan, Mukasey also worked for four years as a trial prosecutor in the U.S. attorney’s office in New York’s southern district – one of the Justice Department’s busiest and highest-profile offices in the country.