Odds and ends: World’s oldest guy now 112, wants to live ‘for infinity’

By The Associated Press

TOKYO – The world’s oldest man celebrated his 112th birthday Tuesday, saying he hoped to live forever.

Born Sept. 18, 1895, Tomoji Tanabe was named world’s oldest male after the death of Emiliano Mercado Del Toro of Puerto Rico. He died in January at 115.

On Tuesday, the mayor of Miyakonojo City, where Tanabe lives, presented him with a bouquet and a congratulatory letter.

When the mayor asked how many more years Tanabe wanted to live, Tanabe replied, “for infinity,” according to city official Yasuo Yamashita.

With his ascetic lifestyle, Tanabe has a good shot at living for at least a little longer.

A former city land surveyor who lives with his son and daughter-in-law, Tanabe is in good health and is known to guzzle milk. He also keeps a diary, avoids alcohol and does not smoke.

Kingdom for sale: Educator offers up Belgium on eBay

BRUSSELS, Belgium – The keys of the kingdom were posted on eBay.

Fed up with a three-month political standoff, a Belgian teacher posted an ad on the online auction site: “For Sale: Belgium, a Kingdom in three parts … free premium: the king and his court (costs not included).”

Gerrit Six placed the advertisement on Saturday, offering free delivery, but pointing out that the country was coming secondhand and that potential buyers would have to take on more than $300 billion in national debt.

“I wanted to attract attention,” Six said. “You almost have to throw a rock through a window to get attention for Belgium.”

Like many of Belgium’s 10 million citizens, Six is exasperated about a power struggle that has left Belgium in political limbo since the June 10 elections.

Demands for more autonomy from the Dutch-speaking Flemish are resisted by the French-speaking Walloons, making it impossible to form a government coalition and triggering concern the kingdom is on the verge of a breakup.

From Associated Press reports