Urbana police investigate potential magazine scam

By Martha Spalding

Last Wednesday Urbana police began to investigate a potential magazine scam conducted by young people, according to an Urbana Police Department press release.

These young people, ranging in age from 20 to 25, claimed to be part of an organization called, “Integrity Program.” They claimed to be from Urbana neighborhoods and solicited for money by selling magazine subscriptions.

The salespeople would claim to be trying to earn money for their college education, a school trip or another worthy cause, according to the release.

Dave Smysor, an Urbana police investigator who is not investigating this specific case, said these scam groups typically work door-to-door. He does not believe they will approach people on the street.

The salespeople claimed the “Integrity Program” was affiliated with the bookstore chain, Barnes and Noble. If this did not work, they would request donations.

Police have attempted to verify the legitimacy of the program, but phone calls to the organization have not been returned. A source at Barnes and Noble denied any affiliation with the program, and it has not been filed with the Urbana City Clerk’s Office or the Illinois General’s Office.

To guard against potential scams, Smysor said people should ask for identification. An ordinance in Champaign-Urbana requires salespersons to apply for a permit if they are more than 13 years old.

While Sysmor said these scams are not uncommon, it is best for residents to contact police with any suspicions.

Bridget Maiellaro contributed to this report.