Minority-owned banking company continues ‘booming’

By Andrea Cheng

September marks the 10-year anniversary of Loop Capital Markets, an investment banking firm founded by James Reynolds, Jr. and Albert Grace, Jr. Because both co-founders are minorities, the firm is considered to be “minority-owned,” said TeMeka Williams, assistant vice president and internship coordinator at the Chicago-based firm.

“The fact that (the firm) is minority-owned influences me to work harder as an individual,” said Cameron Moseberry, sophomore in LAS. “I can see the outcome of hard work and perseverance from Al Grace and Jim Reynolds. They came up with this company that’s been booming ever since they started.”

Moseberry, who has interned at the firm for two consecutive summers, said the experience gave him insight into investment banking.

The goal of Loop Capital Markets is to reach out to all minority groups without excluding any part of the population.

“We do pool from diverse candidates,” Williams said. “Recruiting African Americans as interns is not the result of trying to be exclusive. It’s the result of our candidate pool.”

Amy Fruehling, internship expert at the University’s Business Career Services, said that diversity is important in business.

“They are providing opportunities that will expose underrepresented groups to career paths of business,” Fruehling said.

“A number of students have applied to intern at Loop Capital Markets, and recruiters were on campus this week,” said Lerry Knox, senior vice president of the firm.

“As an alum, I’m very excited to come back and give U of I students an opportunity to consider investment banking,” Knox said. “I have always been happy with the students from U of I.”

“In a smaller firm like Loop Capital Markets, summer interns will be able to earn hands-on experience in dealing with clients, which they can take to their next job,” Williams said.

Even though the firm is minority-owned, that does not necessarily mean the firm is only for minority candidates.

Williams said this internship is an opportunity for students who were not aware of investment banking as a possible career path.

“We are definitely conscious of room for improvement,” Williams said. “We look for the best candidates there are, regardless of whether they’re minority or not.”