More women go to college

By Erika Strebel

A report released by the National Center for Education Statistics has found that there is a growing gender gap in undergraduate college students. Female undergraduates now outnumber male undergraduates nationwide, but the University’s enrollment doesn’t reflect the report’s results.

“It is true that females in general are more likely to attend college than men,” said Gregory Kienzl, visiting professor in the Forum on the Future of Higher Education in College of Education.

Kienzl is not surprised.

“That’s something that’s been happening for probably five maybe even 10 years. There’s been a pretty dramatic exodus of men who seek college education,” he said.

More males have been attending the University during the last 30 years, according to data obtained from the Data Management Information Web site.

Jennifer Nowakowski, junior in LAS, said the campus environment seems well balanced despite the numbers.

“I walk to classes every day, but I don’t feel like there are more men, she said. “I feel like it’s pretty balanced.”

Jimmy Moon, sophomore in Business, said that he also cannot see or feel a gender gap on the campus.

“I think it’s the largeness of the campus,” Moon said. “But if I were at a smaller campus, I’d definitely notice it.”

Kienzl said that the University’s Engineering college and its reputation as a research and doctorate-centered campus may attract more male undergraduates.

Kienzl said the national results, which indicate more women are attending college, may suggest women are simply being economically rational by saying: “‘If I get a BA degree, I’m going to earn this amount, which is pretty substantial compared to if I just have a high school diploma.'”

“In the last few years, the return for a college education, the premium, for females are so much larger than for men, in a way it’s no surprise,” Kienzl said.

Men may believe a four-year degree offers fewer returns for them than for women. Men may opt out because they begin jobs at higher average wages, have a more definitive idea of post-high school plans, and think that they can earn as much working as if they go to college, Kienzl said. But he believes an education beyond a four-year degree benefits men more and makes them stand out.

“The transition for men into the labor market after high school is much clearer, direct and actually more myopic, because in long term it doesn’t benefit them,” Kienzl said. “Women are making smarter choices by delaying their entry into the labor market by going to school and investing in their human capital.”